December 07, 2010

Virtual virtues

Punctuality is  looked upon by the Swedes. We had this time range for presentations today for a class of 40+ to present their work on animal studies. The time of start was 8AM and end was 12 noon. The weather in the morning didn't help me wake up as it was dark and hard to believe my wrist watch. I woke up at 15 minutes to 8. I was 'The Flash' for that 10 minutes or atelast wished that I was.

The walk to the venue was 5 minutes and I made it in 2, I have to thank my strategically placed dwelling in central Ultuna. It was 08:10 when I reached the room, only to find out that half of the class hadn't shown up. The evalutators were there.  They decided to start when more than half of the class showed up at one point. The teams began their slideshow and the latecomers for some reason waited outside to make a horde and entered together, disrupting the team under spotlight. I was expecting some unpleasantries among the authority and the late horde(by a good one hour). She didn't ask for a reason, didn't make them feel bad, didn't nothing. Maybe she understood from the congregated entrance that they were slightly miserable already. More and more showed up late and were dealt with the same way, or at times with a wisecrack, " You were probably hoping that your team would finish without you and you didn't have to present, sorry sonny". Maybe she thought that the unpleasantries would delay the session further and maybe it actually would have.

All groups got a fair share to present their findings as promised. Despite serious morning blues, I enjoyed it. Did learn more than scientific inference from the class findings as well as the fact that virtues are necessary but so is compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment