November 16, 2010

Unintended offence

I love photography so much that I go to great lengths to get well composed shots. This is what happened once when I was in Gamla Uppsala on a weekend just to cover unseen parts of Uppsala.

Me and a friend had been to Gamla, to check out the museum there. It was late in the evening and we knew our chances of the museum being open would be thin. We had plans to wander around and take pictures. We walked around till we discovered a bunch of mounds blocking view to sunset. So I just raced to one of the mounds. There was a foot high fence which got me curious as to if we are allowed past it, or its to prevent pet dogs from wandering there. I looked around to see if there were anyone else on top and I saw a couple on top. So I raced to the top myself and took pictures of the view from there.




 On the way back I saw a lil' boy from a bunch of kids waving at me, so I waved back at him. When I got closer, I realised he s trying to say something to me in Swedish. All I got of his words was 'inte bra'. My friend was waiting there to tell me that I was'nt supposed to climb it and that the mounds were actually burial sites of three kings-Aun, Adil and Egil from the 5th or 6th century. A little more about the mounds-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamla_Uppsala
I grinned at him and said, " I m sure they would'nt mind". But then it got me thinking. The little kid knew that I was'nt supposed to tread on dead people. What about the old couple that was on top of one of them- did they ignore the sign? Did they miss it or were they tourists like me?
Technically speaking, the kings in the mounds would have returned to its molecular carbon form and dissipated within the earth, but we have somehow made rules to not offend the dead. I think mankind cares more about the dead than the ones alive.
I did'nt mean to offend the kings. I bravely walked to the top looking at people already on top. I just wanted to use that a vantage point to cover the area. Could I actually have insulted the dead or people who made the rule more? Its just like removing your footwear when you enter a Hindu temple- its to maintain hygiene we are told. But what about the cleanliness of our feet?
Its all good though. If the ghosts of the kings were to meet me for revenge, I am sure we will have a laugh together once we got talking. After all, all that matters in the end is the intention as wisely quoted by one of my favourite musician. Andrea Bocelli.


1 comment:

  1. jag älska den

    yes we do care abt the dead, rather than those who are abt to die, let alone the fit and living. especially about humans in specific. but i would understand if they were sites of archeological importance!! otherwise every inch of ground we walk might have someone buried underneath.

    ReplyDelete