November 22, 2010

"Calling in sick"

"Ma! How many times have I told you I don't like cabbage!"- that was me like 4 months ago when I was at my grandparents house in Udupi, India. I am a fussy vegetarian and a comfortable non vegetarian as my mother once pointed out. Its true- if theres meat on my plate, I am the happiest eater.

When I was working in Britain, I had the chance to improve my culinary skills as it was a necessity then. Its easy to cook in a western society, thanks to the supermarket galore. We can find food in well preserved and processed forms- cans, vacuum packed, tetra-packed and what not. I enjoyed cooking for myself and later, to show off with some of my British friends. I am a student again now and so I am improvising on my culinary skills. Its over 2 months since I got here and I had this strange feeling today- I miss my family. Don’t get me wrong, I am certainly not the type who sulks a little and reaches for his cell phone to call home the next second. I love the dynamics of human emotions.

I would literally tell my mother what to cook for me that evening or only eat half my fill. She would'nt like it, so she would accommodate my 'brat-ness'. I know, I know- I am a despicable brat. All of a sudden today, I am ready to eat a plate full of the cabbage salad my mom usually makes just to entice that emotion in my head. If I ate the salad with a smile, it would make her happy. If I make a meal for myself and enjoy it, it only makes me happy. There’s no fun in that these days. Am I turning the corner, food habit wise? Am I just home sick?
To be honest, I dont think either of it is true. I know, I know- I am shameless.

I tell you what though, next time my mom is cooking for me, I will make sure that I ask for the very same cabbage salad and enjoy it with a smile on my face. Let’s see what she would think of that. She might do a back flip! On the other hand, I might not do it because I detest the sight, smell and taste of cabbage. It is a pale green whorl of nightmare for my palate. I am just feeling sick writing about it. The taste from memory is enough to put me off. I don't think I can go the classes tomorrow. I think I will just call in 'home sick' tomorrow and hope that my teacher will understand.

For those weirdo's ('thats a harmless joke'-smiley) who love cabbage, heres a traditional konkani recipe -   http://www.konkanirecipes.com/recipes/cabbage-upkari





1 comment:

  1. a very nice read indeed. i am lucky i dont have any peeves and all non moving edibles are a part of my palate....will try the recipe and let u know

    ReplyDelete