September 05, 2013

Vilks's Nimis

Summer almost at its penultimate stage for this year. The days are sometimes cold and crisp while some are sunny and very inviting. Just today I saw some tanning afficionados bathing in the sunlight before it all goes away till spring. I thought I shall write about whatever little I could make of the summer this year- especially this visit to a special place, north west of Skane.

A man who almost drowned in the sea once thought he ll make a landmark out of it. Some believe it was to mark his glory over the attempting murderer- the sea. The gentlemans name was Lars Vilks who had begun construction of his artistic endeavour using driftwood and nails of the size used to crucify Christ himself! To jump in an describe the artifact is quite puzzling. A formation of planks randomly, yet strongly nailed to each other make passageways, towers, vantage platforms and even bridges linking them to each other.

  The hike itself was demanding as the day was warm and humid. The drive was even more interesting as I had never been there before and it was unchartered territory.                                                        
A very sweaty me!
 The network.

 The view through the tightly spaced passages.
 From a vantage point
 Every plank, I thought was connected to the previous creation forming one huge network of a mesh. That was until I saw this formation (Picture <--). This was the closest to the sea, almost 10 metres high.
 I had to climb it. The danger was actually the nails sticking out. Remember my description of the size of them?

 I had to climb in and out.

 Some ruins nearby.
 View from the top.
 View from bottom-up!
The walk back was gruesome! To read more about the landmark, wikipedia it. I cannot guarantee its credibility but this is what is left standing still.

No comments:

Post a Comment