October 17, 2011

Defeating purpose

'If you believe everything you rea, better not read', says the Japanese proverb that I happen to come across recently. A coursemate of mine took it to a complete new dimension in my Biofuel tech class when he asked out loud, while being out of the context then, " This might be a stupid question. But did Dinosaurs actually exist?".

   Immediately after I had heard the question, I thought he was trying to be funny. The reason behind that thought of mine is that he was a student of Biology, was signed up for the Masters in Biotechnology program at SLU currently and intends to be a prospective biofuel technician- a scientist working on finding ecofriendly alternative to fossil fuels! He wasn't trying to be funny. It was a serious question. I almost fell off my meds. The teacher in class is a man who respects every question no matter what intention it is, but, for a second he thought he hadn't heard it correctly. It was one thing to share the moment of awkwardness with my other classmates.

I love incidents like these because it gives me something to blog about. Plus I think of such irrationality with great depth and admiration, in a way. What could be the possible reasons behind a grown ass man, born in July 1988, being educated in the principle sense, making it abroad to Sweden to dedicate his cognitive calibre to understanding science, and yet, questions the existence of Dinosaurs.

It was the same case with another friend of mine from previous term courses. Ironically, the course was genome analysis- revolving around the genetic formula and evolutionary science. This friend of mine was from the native of Coffee, Ethiopia. A very religious man, of whom, I have written a praiseworthy blog about, that many had loved reading-'Iceman'. His religious upbringing makes him believe that the earth is no more than 6000 years old and that man was constructed on the sixth day of creation and his first lady, quite literally, was made from his donated rib and magic to cure him of his boredom. On the other hand, he had the comprehensive knowledge of evolutionary science- man evolved from Apes. He constructed answers in the paper for the final exam and passed it with grade 4, out of 5. He intrigues me as well. He can compartmentalise his belief structure based on necessity- if he has to score in genetics, he s a scientist and in his personal life a staunch Christian. A Superman of sorts. I m sure there are more like him out there. Those, who circumnavigate around logic and reasoning and please someone in their professional life while being a closet believer of the opposite.

I will always be pleased to meet such people in future as well.It is proof enough to show that mankind is still evolving with the brain functions not at its optimum yet. Something, I ll definitely write blogs about, laugh about in the right sense. For me, its like a man dealing with schizophrenia. For a person who observes details, its very funny. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment