May 22, 2011

The Devil chef

I love food. I am in the food science for a reason. I want food to be in my career, my drive, my inspiration and my end. I dedicate this blog to yet another Swedish property-MAX burgers, that I think is worth writing a blog about.

The fast food culture in Sweden is slow, for the lack of a more descriptive word. Its slow not because its cheap, its because the legislative bodies concerning food safety and welfare take it to a level like no other. While studying food science in SLU, we had more than many chances to attend classes by people at high level in commercial food and food law governors. Heres and interesting fact, there is a great deal of interest in avoiding Salmonella (species of bacteria that cause severe food poisoning) that the imports are regulated based on the suppliers frequency with Salmonella cases. This is in regard with Egg, meat and processed food ingredients also.
However, the main reason why I was intrigued was when I saw no KFC in Sweden or that I havent seen one yet. KFC has the reputation of creating havoc with animal welfare and safety. They have been known once to treat chicken farms like it was an abuse factory. One might recall the case about chicken nuggets, that if one could trace back the meat to its source farm (a concept used in the food industry called traceability).

MacDonalds and Burger King have ruled the fast food franchise all over the globe. They might even have one set up in Antarctica someday in search of more land to setup a drive-in-takeaway. This burger joint franchise called MAX is something else.

This is one such joint with that emblem. Not very attractive to be honest but wait till you read what it did to me.








Coming from a country (India) that was earlier not used to eating meaty burgers  as a part of their daily diet, I was quite fond of burgers. Burger king was my previous no.1. As much as I loved that name, I could only think of having like a flame grilled Aberdeen Angus like once or twice a month. MAX seems like a strange unappealing name for a burger joint. No mascot, no grinning idiot with the make up at the front, no old bearded man with glasses, no gimmicks. Didnt know what to order when I got to the counter once. Took a chance and ordered the cheapes meal they had- Maxmal original. The student card fetches a 10SEK discount on sale over 50SEK. The burger is larger than what the competitors offer in the same range. When I sank my teeth into the sandwich, it was a stampede of flavours on my palate. I could feel the freshness of the tomato, the crunchiness of the lettuce and the sweet sting of red onions. What makes this stand out is that the buns are toasted to perfect caramelisation and the sauce! The sauce is the recipe to die/kill for. Perfect combination of fat and flavour that compliments the succulence of the perfectly seasoned beef pattice.

The prices are very competitive, but not as low as MacDonalds. I guess there is a reason behind that. One could always question the fact that the franchise communicates to its customers the exact carbon footprint that each of its product has.
http://www.max.se/download/Press%20release%20Max%20080506.pdf
Or if it could be another tactic to lure people inside.
They have a menu called Delifresh lunch menu with baked meat options and salads. Also a range of items for the diabetic customers.

All I am saying is, one could turn to the most ignorant person regarding food safety and welfare once he gets to taste a MAX burger. Its the Devil chef that makes it too good to be true. You forget all else. Nothing matters.
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment