April 18, 2011

The Stork delivery

A blog for Indian students who  are so fussy about food that they need their home-made 'masalas' shipped to your Swedish dwelling.

I love cooking. I have my three meals at home and very rarely the MAX burgers on a night out on weekends, mainly blame it on the boogie that stimulates aggressive hunger. I did try to find out how much the spice powders cost if I had to buy some from local Iranian shops that fulfill all the asian culinary needs- from rolling pins for 'Chapathis' to imported Basmati rice for people who jack up on starch. The masalas are spicefully pricy here compared to the prices I remember in British Asian shops. I did buy some during times of emergency and found out that the spices didn't quite pack a punch. Yes, I am truly a fuss ball. So, I had a word with my aunt in India and told her my peril. She then immediately tool took a list of masalas that I needed and shipped it to me.


Heres the informative part- In Sweden, you don't get boxes delivered to you at your doorstep. It doesn't matter how large or small they are, as far as I know. You get a letter with all the details of where you have to collect your packet from. Willys, ICA and branches of these supermarkets have a special area that manage Swedish postal system in regard to boxes. You can send and recieve boxes from this point. Taking a photographic Id with you is a no-brainer really. They operate even on weekends. For some its inconvenient or confusing so as to why the system is like this where you have to pick you package(even if its a small one) from these point. The way I see it is that it ensures no misplaced or stolen deliveries and its not cos the Stork doesn't work out.


If it can deliver new born babies as the folklore goes, its neck is strong enough to deliver my 2.4 kg packet





The box when handed to me had such potent fragrance that brought a wicked smile on my face. A surprise addition to the list was a packet of home made sweet called 'Kare Undos'. They are hand made balls of oatmeal, dill, grated coconut, puffed rice, jaggery(crude syrup), cashew nuts and wee balls of fried gram flour.


This is what Kare Undos look like on a plate
;)
The texture is grainy with a resistant gooey feel in the palate. Love my aunt for the surprise. Usually, I share my bounty but this is too good to be shared.

I love my Stork that delivers goodies like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment