February 21, 2011

Brainwashed

One of my favourite jokes-
Bono was supposedly playing for charitable cause-'Help Rwanda' in a concert in Scotland. The band gets stupendous appreciation- people are screaming, yelling out his name, not just cos they are drunk but they like the band probably. While taking a small interlude for a drink of water, Bono starts to spread a message. He spreads his hand and slowly starts clapping. He says to the crowd, "Every time I clap my hands, a person is dying of hunger in Rwanda".  There is silence. Out of nowhere, a drunk Scotsman yells "Then stop deein' that ya filthy basterd!"

To me such sentences don't make any sense. Unless someone comes up with technology to teleport matter, how can you send food from Scotland to another continent. I am sure Bono drinks only tap water in his home, drives a eco friendly electric car with a top speed of 50mph, sends atleast 60% of that concert profit to Africa and is seriously thinking of adopting kids from certain areas of adversity in Africa. It's very impressive.

My friend used to work part time in Edinburgh for a very fast food joint, Burger King. Over there, they stress that you' ll only get what you want in your sandwich. Like say, you asked for no onions in your sandwich, they mark the wrapping paper to indicate that theres no onions in there. Same goes with the other ingredients- lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, ketchup etc. I guess its paradise for veggie haters. But what happens when you do find an onion ring in your sandwich when you asked for none? You take it back and show it to the cashier. She/he takes it back to the person incharge of packing. The sandwich finally makes it to the bin, without second thought. The best part is this- the customers who had ordered a full meal ( drink and a side) complain that the fries got cold and soggy because of their fault. So, the fries make it to the bin and the customer is all happy when he gets piping hot replacements.

"Bin full of food is wasted on a weekday", he said, "..and you won't believe what its like on a weekend". That gets to me a little bit. People wear ' Livestrong' bands, AIDS ribbon loop and PETA t-shirts etc. I wonder if the company that manufactures the merchandise is the only body profiting from the actual concept.

To me, it hurts when I waste food. I don't need to  see videos of severely undernourished kids in Africa to understand that you don't waste food or atleast that you have to be as efficient as possible when you eat. I ask for tap water in restaurants and certainly am not interested in forwarding emails and texts and slogans that are forwarded to me that are supposed to create awareness with 'moving' pictures and videos. But thats just me- I Waltz to my own tune.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/games-quizzes/food-wasted-quiz/

1 comment:

  1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/22/indian-weddings-too-big

    ReplyDelete